Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Register
Legal Department
 TRWA Legal and Legislative Services Department

Members may contact our Legal and Legislative Services Department for answers to questions on a variety of legal issues, including CCNs, elections, board governance, easements, tariffs and service policies, rate cases, regulatory issues and employment-related matters. 

The department, along with our Executive Director, also provides advocacy services, meeting regularly with legislative offices and regulators on issues important to our members. We draft bills, testify at legislative hearings and review and provide input on proposed rule changes and other matters at TCEQ, PUC, TWDB and the Comptroller’s office. We also track relevant regulatory and legal cases and file amicus briefs when warranted.

Do you have a question for the legal department? Ask the Attorney! 

Services offered by TRWA's Legal Department: 


  • Consultation and Legal Advice: Our staff attorney and paralegal fields questions from members covering a variety of legal issues that water utilities face. All calls are confidential and members receive the guidance they need to make informed decisions without having to initially consult with outside legal counsel.Our staff attorney also provides consultation on water law issues to outside legal counsel representing members on permit applications and other contested matters.

  • Rural Water Advocacy: TRWA works year-round to represent rural water interests at the Texas Legislature and before the regulatory agencies.
  • Legal Training & Education: TRWA conducts many conferences throughout the year which includes presentations on legal and policy issues. TRWA also co-sponsors a Water Law Seminar every legislative session year with Texas Water Conservation Association (TWCA).
  • Legal Resources (Keep it Legal column, sample documents, Legal Handbook, etc.): TRWA maintains a law library and access to electronic legal research services to help legal staff quickly and effectively research the law to help members resolve their issues. TRWA has also developed a series of sample governance and system operation documents for both water supply corporations and districts that are updated on a regular basis to be consistent with applicable laws and rules. These forms are turn-key and adaptable to specific situations.

Ask the Attorney

TRWA members can submit legal questions by filling out the electronic form below: 

If you have questions involving specific facts, please call (512) 472-8591 so we may guarantee your confidentiality. Using a water district's e-mail is not confidential and may create a government record that can be read by consumers, employees or anyone.

Any e-mail directed to TRWA is not encrypted and could be intercepted by persons other than the intended recipient. By submitting e-mail to TRWA, the person submitting e-mail expressly consents to an unencrypted reply that could be intercepted by persons other than the intended recipient.

The Ask a Attorney service is not available to consumers, the general public or water utilities that are not members of TRWA.

If you agree to the above disclaimer, please check the box below and complete the Ask a Attorney form.


Membership Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal